HVAC stands for heat, ventilation and air conditioning, this technology provides indoor as well as ventilation comforts to the household. HVAC systems are used in mechanical engineering to achieve thermal comforts in building. This equipment includes chillers, radiant systems, humidifiers, air conditioners,dehumidifiers, boilers, heat pumps and many more.
In modern buildings HVAC equipment plays an important role in residential structure. It helps in enjoying luxurious life to the people living in the building. With the help of HVAC equipment, if cooling is required in building then the heat inside the building can be pumped out to give cool environment but if the hot environment is required then heat can be either generated or pumped inside from outside. HVAC system use in commercial and domestic environment for providing acceptable indoor air quality and thermal comfort within reasonable installation, operation and maintenance cost. Technology used by HVAC systems company is discussed below:
Heat Generation System used in HVAC
1. Furnaces and Boilers- Furnaces and Boilers are used to produce and distribute heat. Boiler is a vessel which can used to burn natural gas, heating oil, wood etc. combustible fuel and then pushes the steam or hot water using radiators, baseboards, or under floor radiant heating. Furnace is used to force heated air through ducts. The replacement of filters and cleanliness of duct work is required on a regular basis to preserve the air quality.
2. Electric Resistance Heaters- Electric resistance heaters heat up while current is passed through it. baseboard heaters, Convector Heaters, Wall Heaters , Radiant Heat , uses electricity to heat up air.
3. Solar Thermal- Solar thermal uses sun energy rather than fossil fuels to generate heat HVAC system because it is based on climate.
Heat Moving Systems in HVAC
Heat pumps are used to move thermal energy rather to generate heat. Few heat pumps can be used to move heat either outside or inside the building. It transfers heat in the building by circulating a substance called a refrigerant through a cycle of evaporation and condensation.
HVAC systems Size and Efficiency
The size and efficiency of HVAC system depends upon the design of the building, mass and openings etc. The size of heating and cooling unit depends on the rate in which it is supplied. Heating size is calculated in Btus per hour and cooling size in tons.
Btus can be calculated below:
BTUH = .33 x [square footage of building to be heated] x [difference between outside and inside design temperatures]
If the proper sized HVAC system is used the efficiency of the system is more as compared to wrong sized system.
HVAC Installation Steps
To install the HVAC system in your building following steps are used which are given below:
1. Calculate the load for proper sizing of unit.
2. Find a suitable location for the fan coil unit.
3. Cut the return air opening.
4. Construct a simple platform to implement the unit.
5. Attach supply plenum ring to move the fan coil past the platform edge to accommodate the plenum ring.
6. Connect the condensate drain to the fan coil unit.
7. Connect refrigerant lines from outdoor condensing unit to indoor fan coil unit.
8. Connect supply tubing and plenum duct.
9. Install terminator outlets and sound attenuation tubing.
10. Install supply tubing.
After completing the installation process the last step is to supply the power to make it working. In modern buildings HVAC system provides healthy environment to the people living in them. This technology improves the lifestyle of the people in the great manner.